Singapore company 800 Super expands into Cambodia’s solid waste management sector
800 Super, a Singapore company and its joint venture partner in Cambodia, GAEA Waste Management, were awarded the contract for waste collection and transportation for one of the three zones in Phnom Penh City by the Phnom Penh Capital Administration.
1. 800 Super, a Singapore company and its joint venture partner in Cambodia, GAEA Waste Management, were awarded the contract for waste collection and transportation for one of the three zones in Phnom Penh City by the Phnom Penh Capital Administration. The 800 Super-GAEA joint venture was selected from a group of over 20 bidders who participated in the tender that the Phnom Penh Capital Administration launched in March 2020.
2. Under the 10-year contract, the joint venture will be responsible for the collection and transportation of solid waste from five sub-zones in Zone 1 of Phnom Penh City to a transfer station, and ultimately to the regional landfill for Phnom Penh and its surrounding provinces. The estimated waste quantity is around 1,040 tonnes per day in 2020 and is projected to increase to around 2,700 tonnes per day by 2030 as the city grows. 800 Super is one of the three licensed public waste collectors in Singapore appointed by Singapore’s National Environment Agency (NEA), while GAEA is a Cambodia-based waste collection company operating in Siem Reap, Kampong Thom, Bantay Meanchey and Kampot provinces.
3. Specialising in waste and recyclables collection, 800 Super incorporates technology in its operations in Singapore to improve productivity and increase efficiency, with support from Enterprise Singapore (ESG). An example is the use of real-time operation monitoring powered by RFID tags on trucks and bins that ensures that trucks are efficiently performing their duties and bins are properly emptied. Such technologies, including those developed by Singapore start-ups, will also be incorporated throughout the contract’s tenure to support the long-term needs of Cambodia’s growing urban centres. For a start, 800 Super will be introducing the GPS fleet management system that it currently uses in Singapore to better track and manage its assets and enhance its workers’ safety in Phnom Penh City. Combined with GAEA’s local experience, 800 Super is confident that the joint venture would deliver satisfactory waste collection and transportation service for the residents in Phnom Penh.
4. ESG, NEA and Infrastructure Asia had worked together to share with the Cambodian authorities about Singapore’s solid waste management experience, and the best practices Singapore waste management companies adopt that ensure sustainable waste management.
5. Mr William Lee, Chief Executive Officer of 800 Super, said, “We are delighted to be awarded the contract and are pleased to have GAEA as our partner in this journey. We also thank Enterprise Singapore, National Environment Agency and Infrastructure Asia for their support in our growth and regionalisation journey. The 800 Super-GAEA joint venture will bring in our collective experience and expertise in working with the Phnom Penh Capital Administration to enhance Phnom Penh’s cleanliness and liveability. We will also continue to explore new opportunities in Cambodia, a very important market in our growth strategy.”
6. Mr Ng Chun Pin, Deputy Chief Executive Officer (Planning, Corporate and Technology) of National Environment Agency, Singapore, said, “This contract is a significant milestone for Singapore’s Environmental Services (ES) sector, and a strong affirmation of the close collaborations between agencies to help our ES companies internationalise. It is also a nod to the capabilities and gumption of our homegrown ES companies, such as 800 Super, who are able to bring value not only through their expertise and experience, but also the integration of technology and innovation to make their services more productive and efficient. We hope this success will spur more ES companies on, and to consider venturing abroad, thereby generating more job opportunities for Singaporeans, both locally and overseas.”.
7. Ms Eunice Koh, Assistant Chief Executive Officer of Enterprise Singapore, said, “Despite uncertain times, Singapore companies that have invested in technology continue to forge partnerships overseas and press on with their internationalisation plans. It is also heartening to know that 800 Super, a Singapore company, will be contributing to Phnom Penh City’s public health agenda, a top-of-mind issue for both the government and citizens in current times.”
8. Mr Seth Tan, Executive Director of Infrastructure Asia, said “With increasing urbanisation, waste management is an issue that many cities in the region, including Phnom Penh, are facing. We are glad to know that the Royal Government of Cambodia is taking active steps to optimise its waste sector to support Phnom Penh’s continuing growth. This is also an area to which Singapore-based players such as 800 Super are well-placed to contribute given their experience and expertise in municipal waste management.”
For media enquiries, please contact:
Ms Xin Hui LEE
Senior Business Partner, Corporate Communications
DID: +65 6433 4624
About 800 Super
800 Super is an established homegrown environmental services provider for the public and private sectors in Singapore. With a broad range of environmental services such as waste management and waste treatment, cleaning and conservancy and horticultural services, 800 Super is a front-runner in the waste management business. 800 Super’s waste management services include residential, commercial and industrial waste collection services, as well as recycling services. Cleaning and conservancy services comprise integrated public cleaning and contract cleaning services, which are provided to government agencies, residential, industrial, commercial and institutional customers. It also offers horticultural services, including landscaping, grass cutting and tree pruning services, to residential, commercial and institutional customers. Since 2019, 800 Super also operates a self-sustaining integrated energy and resource recovery facility that houses Biomass Plant, Sludge Treatment Plant, Industrial Laundry Plant, animal feed processing and sterilising facility, and third-party ISO tank container heating facility. Visit www.800super.com.sg for more information.
About Enterprise Singapore
Enterprise Singapore is the government agency championing enterprise development. We work with committed companies to build capabilities, innovate and internationalise. We also support the growth of Singapore as a hub for global trading and startups, and build trust in Singapore’s products and services through quality and standards. Visit www.enterprisesg.gov.sg for more information.
About Infrastructure Asia
Infrastructure Asia aims to support Asia’s social and economic growth through infrastructure development. Infrastructure Asia was established by Enterprise Singapore and Monetary Authority of Singapore to support infrastructure financing and development in the region. It does so through early project scoping, best practice sharing and brokering, harnessing Singapore’s best-in-class infrastructure ecosystem (international developers, engineering and professional services, along with financial institutions and multilateral development entities). It also works with global players in the regional infrastructure ecosystem and leverages the collective capabilities and networks of various government agencies to catalyse more trade and investments into infrastructure in the region.